Friday 10 August 2012

Majulah Singapura!

I am proud to be a part of Singapore. Yesterday I spent the late morning hours in IKEA, tracking down sundry items for my flat, and the latter part of the day at home with Yuka Osaki, watching the National Day Parade and half-heartedly lesson planning. I always appreciate the National Day Parade and its reaffirmation of Singapore's commitment to love and unity. And what better way to celebrate racial harmony than to have a Swede and a Japanese celebrate the Singaporean national day?


The final light show of the parade was a colourful performance of dancing raindrops, butterflies, and orchids. I have noticed of late that Singapore has gone all out to embrace its jungle heritage, and the city planners have increasingly incorporated creeping vines and clinging plants into the architecture, probably figuring if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. And it's about time. Manicured lawns are all well and good, but I personally prefer the untamed look.

As for this year's National Day song, I cannot love it as much as Kit Chan's "Home" from 1998. While its refrain played during the medley of songs towards the end, Yuka misheard the lyrics, thinking Kit sang "This is home truly, as my sensei tells me..." I was, however, delighted to find another favorite in Shabir Tabare Alam's haunting Tamil beauty "Singai Naadu."

You know Singapore is small when you watch the planes fly over Marina Bay on the telly in one moment and see them out your window the next. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved your blog. I really miss Singapore from time to time and many times I will pull up the youtube clip of Kit Chan's "Home" and it takes me back. Best national day song ever!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Mr. Goode! I am flattered.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'm strongly attached with Singaporeans' emotion. I am grown up in Malaysia, however, due to historical and kinship ties (majority of my family members are Singaporeans), I pay huge attention towards Singapore's latest developments with amaze.

Majulah Singapura is a nice anthem to be heard. I do like this blog entry too. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you! This blog entry meant a lot to me too. I am glad you could appreciate it as well.