Saturday 16 April 2011

Hyperbole is the WORST Thing EVER

Not really. I don't mind a bit of melodrama, a dash of gilded speech every now and then, but I feel an increasing need to undo it, to take it out of my system. I need get out of America. I don't like the way the culture is changing me, particularly it's superfluous use of hyperbole.

I hate long lines.
Oh man, I love brownies.
My mom's gonna kill me.

Really? Your mom's going to kill you?

Do we know what we mean when we say such things? Is it really just culture, a twenty-first century manner of speaking? Or is it symptomatic of a greater problem, an insincerity we can't stop?


I hate getting up in the morning.                              I hate racism.
I love cereal.                                                              I love my family.



Let your "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no.

No comments: