This is the stew Melissa made. She wants to make sure I give her credit for the title of this post.
Cinnamon and Curry Sweet Potato Stew
2 Tbsp olive oil
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped (no garlic press)
3 red onions, diced
1 small eggplant, diced
3 tomatoes, diced
3 medium sweet potatoes, diced
3 carrots, sliced into coins
coarse ground black pepper
yellow curry powder
2-3 cups water
2 boxes plain couscous (needs butter, salt, water. Instructions will be on box)
1) Dice everything and have it at the ready.
2) Heat oil in large pot.
3) Add garlic, agitate until just turning brown.
4) Add onions, agitate until coated in the oil. Add 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper. Put lid on and allow onions to sweat for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
5) Add eggplant, stir and return lid to pot. Let cook for 10-15 minutes at medium heat, stirring occasionally.
6) Add tomatoes, carrots, and potatoes; stir. Add enough water to just barely cover the vegetables. Return lid to pot and let cook for 5 minutes.
7) Add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/3 paprika, 1/2 Tbsp curry, 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon. Stir and return lid to pot. Let cook down for 20-30 minutes on medium to low heat, stirring occasionally.
8) Taste stew, add additional spices as needed. Predominant flavors should be curry and cinnamon. Continue to cook for 30-40 minutes on low to medium heat until carrots and potatoes are soft all the way through. Stew will reduce as it cooks, have no fear. If the meal is delayed, you can turn off the heat and leave the lid on, re-warming the stew closer to serving time or cook the stew on a lower heat starting from step 6.
9) Remove from heat and serve over couscous with shredded coconut and/or shredded swiss cheese.