Saturday 18 May 2013

Birthday Ice Cream

I have been writing, ladies and gentlemen, but not here. I have neglected the upkeep of my blog for school work and a novel and even a short story (I'm terrible at writing those, and I quite surprised myself). Therefore, I will be catching you up on all I have seen and done, and if any of you are thus offended by old news, it would be in your best interest to look away.






No birthday is complete without a birthday turban.

For my birthday, the the Rebel Shang and her demurely-named sister Judith went out for a birthday lunch, which first included a burger meal at The Burger Shack, which is an extension of the Island Creamery shop in Bukit Timah. Their burgers were delicious and non-greasy, and if you are on the hunt for a good burger, I would highly recommend it. It is located in the building (the name escapes me) to the left of Coronation Plaza, should you stand facing Coronation.


After this we traipsed over to the Island Creamery, a snug shop in Serene Center, next to the Bukit Timah entrance of the Botanical Gardens. If it's your birthday, you get a free scoop of ice cream (I didn't know this at the time and was only happily surprised at the fortunate coincidence). I remember when the Island Creamery first opened its doors, back when we still lived in a charmingly dilapidated College Green with a roof that leaked in the stairwell during heavy rains.  The Island Creamery is based off an excellent winning concept--they make their own ice cream fresh every day and in a variety of local flavours, which include Kahlua Latte, Teh Tarik, Durian, Coconut Swirl, Pineapple Tart, Horlicks, Cookies and Cream, Soursop Pomegranat Sorbet, etc. European ice cream shops are a dime a dozen (to borrow the American colloquialism), and I am not much impressed with their flavours, but here the creators embraced Singaporean favorites and turned them into something perfectly, naturally Singaporean.

By the counter there is a photo printing station, where you can print a picture of yourself enjoying the bounties of the Island Creamery, and it is, of course, expected that you stick your picture to the wall with all the others. So we did.


Shanghai putting up the picture.

Immortalized forever.

No comments: