Wednesday 25 April 2012

Superstar


In Singapore, my father was very often mistaken for the iconic blond Russian spy Ilya Kuryakin of Man from U.N.C.L.E. fame, embodied by David McCallum, now more widely-known for his role as Donald "Ducky" Mallard on NCIS. It happened so often that he stopped denying it altogether and let the taxi drivers take us to the nearest condominium because they simply could not believe we lived in such humble HDB abodes.

I can't deny that there is a certain international flair about my father; over the years he has come to possess many a personal identification travel card, which claim enough to be vague--an 'independent contractor' or 'tourist guide' or the ever ambiguous 'businessman.' Might we have an actual spy in our ranks?

I suppose it was only a matter of time before his acting talents were discovered. Since our acquaintance with Resh Marhatta, my father, Gunnar, Viktor, and Jari were all given small roles to play in Resh's upcoming action movie Challenge. Father even had a line or two. As for myself?  I've been made honorary on-set photographer and promotional agent to the West.

Jari knots his tie in silent contemplation

The negotiations begin



All in a day's work for an international man of mystery.

No comments: