Friday 7 December 2012

Teaching


I am a teacher. I'm a teacher? Every day these words run through my mind, and every time they do, I think back upon those English teachers who have gone before--Mrs. Lawrence and Mrs. Weidler and Professors Vanden Bosch and Vande Koppel and Saupe--greats who taught me to love the English language and inspire my imagination. But more often than not, I feel like Anne Shirley of Green Gables than I do anything else. I too teach literature and composition, spelling and grammar in creative (and some would say foolhardy) ways; I too was thrust into unforeseen circumstances and prevailed, but more importantly, I too wear long skirts and have red hair that I pile on top of my head from time to time. Now, all I need is my Gilbert.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Relying on our past teachers for our present help-- def know that feeling! x