Thursday 20 December 2012

Winter Green


I was thinking about the differences between seasonal eating here and in Sweden. During the cold, dark winter months in the North, we eat stodgier food, something with a bit more substance to it. And many sweet things. Salads and greens are mostly left for spring and summer, when fresh produce can be taken directly from the countryside (there's nothing like crisp Swedish cucumber) and not flown in from a warmer climate. I, however, live in the tropics and am completely unbothered by changing seasons--its always warm and humid and sometimes wet--and therefore I eat greens to my heart's content.

This salad I've been partial to these past few days contains lettuce, avocado, alfala sprouts, roast chicken, red onion, feta cheese, and yellow plum tomatoes, gently devoured with a balsamic cream dressing.

No comments: