Saturday 20 August 2011

Biscuits, Not Cookies

It's Saturday. A rather unproductive one at that. I watched a few episodes of Pair of Kings and Kickin' It and Good Luck Charlie--Disney shows, you see. In the evening I had a sudden rush of energy (to make up for my hitherto lack of it) and decided to make chocolate balls. As I flipped through an old cookbook from my high school days, assembled by students, staff and parents of my school, I found a recipe for ANZAC biscuits and made those instead.


For the uninformed, ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, and according to legend, wives of soldiers abroad sent these particular biscuits to their husbands because the ingredients kept well during naval transportation. Whatever the case, they always remind me of my friends Lauren and Matt, both Australians, and that great country of beautiful vistas I have visited only twice. Here's to you!

1 cup / 2.36 dl quick-cooking rolled oats
3/4 cup / 1.6 dl desiccated coconut
1 cup / 2.36 dl flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup / 2.36 dl sugar
1/2 cup / 1.2 dl butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water

In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, sugar, and coconut together. In a small bowl, melt the butter and add golden syrup.

Mix baking soda with boiling water and add to butter and syrup mixture. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Place 1 tablespoon of mixture on a greased tray. (The mixture will be crumbly, so form small balls to keep it from falling apart.) Bake for 15 minutes at 320 degrees Fahrenheit / 160 degrees Celsius. Enjoy!



No comments: