Thursday 1 September 2011

In Want of Doughnuts, I Made Havreflarn



Today I have finished my thank you cards, cleared out loads of things from the basement, done the dishes, and--not feeling productive enough--baked a batch of havreflarn, which are delicious all on their own or with a cold glass of milk or served as a complement to real vanilla ice cream. This  was my first try at baking them, and I made the first ones so big that they stuck to the paper and couldn't be peeled off, even by the most dextrous among us. My parents sampled them without a second thought anyway, nodding and saying simply that  "a bit of paper never hurt anyone." For the second set I placed the cookies on a reusable baking sheet of black Teflon which worked marvelously, and though I do not like Teflon on the whole, I will use it in this case.

75 g butter
1 dl sugar
1 dl rolled oats
1 dl wheat flour
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons syrup
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Preparation time: 20 minutes

Melt butter in a pot on stove. Remove from heat when butter is melted. Add all other ingredients, while stirring. On a baking paper-covered metal tray, drop half tablespoons of dough, making sure to leave room between each cookie, as they will spread out during baking. Bake for five minutes (at 200 degrees Celius/ 392 degrees Fahrenheit) or until slightly golden. Feed to friends.



No comments: