Thursday 8 September 2011

Tyger! Tyger! Burning Bright


Elsa treated me to a delicious slice of tiger cake and a cup of tea last week when I stopped by for a visit. She wrote down the recipe on an envelope and today I tried my hand at it at ten o'clock at night, not feeling productive enough after four hours of heavy lifting. (We were moving storage spaces, and the most exciting thing to happen to me today was that I rode on the forklift to steady the load, four meters in the air.)

200 g butter
2 1/2 dl sugar
3 eggs
4 dl flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 dl cream or milk
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla powder

Oven: 175 degrees Celsius

Melt butter in bowl. In a bowl mix sugar, eggs, and melted butter. Stir in flour, baking powder, and cream or milk. Pour a small portion of batter into a separate bowl. (I'd recommend using the butter bowl to save dishes.) Add the two tablespoons of cocoa powder to this mix. Add the one tablespoon of vanilla powder to the other bowl. Alternate pouring yellow batter and brown batter into buttered baking tin. Pull a fork through batter a few times to make tiger stripes. Bake for 40-45 minutes in the lowest part of the oven. Adjust baking time to desired stickiness. Enjoy!



This was my first attempt at baking tiger cake, but as it is a rather ferocious delicacy, it will be made again. Tomorrow my mother wants me to make carrot cake and åh! limpa, and I will. I have never made either of them before, but beginner's luck lies with the happy amateur.

No comments: